Last Updated and Effective Date: June 10, 2012
Table of contents
- What are "Your California Privacy Rights"?
- What types of information do we collect and use?
- Do we collect Personal Information from or about children?
- Do we disclose your Personal Information to third parties?
- How do we tailor and personalize content and advertising on our Services?
- What other choices do you have regarding the collection, use and sharing of your Personal Information?
- What do you need to know about links to other websites operated by third parties?
- How can you access, update, correct or delete your Personal Information?
- What security measures do we take to safeguard your Personal Information?
- How can you contact us?
Our Services are designed and targeted to U.S. audiences and are governed by and operated in accordance with the laws of the U.S. If you are not a U.S. citizen or do not reside in the U.S., you voluntarily consent to the collection, transfer, use and disclosure of your Personal Information to the U.S. You also agree to waive any claims that may arise under your own national laws.
1. What are your California Privacy Rights?
If you reside in California and you have an established business relationship with us, you have the right to receive information about our online opt-out and out-in policies of sharing your Personal Information with other companies owned by JCI (collectively, "JCI Affiliates") and with non-affiliated third parties, including sponsors, promotional partners and advertisers (collectively, "Advertisers") for marketing or advertising purposes. If you wish to learn about our opt-out and opt-in policies, please send your written request to us via email or postal mail following the instructions below. We will not accept requests via the telephone or facsimile.
- We may not be able to respond to requests that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.
- For all requests, include your full name, street address, city, state and zip code.
- In your email request, you must state "Re: Your California Privacy Rights" in the subject line and send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In a postal request, you must send a letter or post card to:
Journal Broadcast Group, Inc.
600 Industrial Drive
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 54981
Attention: Privacy Administrator/Your California Privacy Rights
Non-affiliated third parties are independent from JBG and JCI and if you wish to receive information about your disclosure choices or stop communications from third parties, you will need to contact those non-affiliated third parties directly.
2. What types of information do we collect and use?
We collect both Personal Information and Non-Personal Information. We collect a variety of Personal Information voluntarily submitted by you via our Services, email, telephone, instant messaging, facsimile, postal mail, texts, mobile applications ("Apps"), or via third party websites such as Facebook, Twitter or other social networking platforms, or in-person. We may also collect Personal Information about other people when you participate in certain programs and features or when you submit news stories or nominations for community awards or recognition that involve other people.
Personal Information and Non-Personal Information definitions:
Generally, Personal Information is information that can be used to identify or contact a specific inpidual, such as your name, postal address, email address and telephone number, or data that can be reasonably linked to a specific consumer, computer or other device. Non-Personal Information is information that may not directly identify or enable contact of a specific inpidual, such as an Internet Protocol ("IP") address or mobile device unique identifier, particularly if that data is de-identified (meaning it becomes anonymous). Aggregated information is also classified as Non-Personal Information because an inpidual person cannot be identified. However, Non-Personal Information linked to or associated with Personal Information will also be classified as Personal Information.]
Specific types of Personal Information we may collect:
Depending on your relationship with us and the feature, activity or transaction you are engaged in, we may collect your full name, postal address, email address, telephone number (wireline or mobile), text/tweet ID, facsimile number, date of birth, gender, occupation, household income, purchasing preferences, personal interest activities, , precise geographic location, and username and password for the Services, search, transaction and purchase history if such information is linked to or associated with other Personal Information, or any other Personal Information that you provide to us. We also collect more sensitive Personal Information such as bank/debit/checking/credit card account information, Social Security Number, driver's license number, passport number, employment history, medical history for conducting your purchase transactions or employment applications, or to verify your identity, eligibility for certain promotions or transactions, and/or IRS reporting requirements. If you log in to our Services using your Facebook User ID or another social networking platform User ID, we will only collect Personal Information that you have authorized Facebook or another social networking platform to share with us or information that you've made public. Under certain circumstances and to the extent required by applicable law, an IP address and a mobile device unique identifier may also be classified as Personal Information.
We also collect information about your computer, browser, mobile device, visits to our Services and other online activities that are used to enhance or customize your experience on our Services or Apps and to improve our Services. Like most standard websites, this information is traditionally collected on our Services automatically via cookies, web beacons and other similar technology and is generally treated as Non-Personal Information, unless we are required to do so otherwise under applicable law. Non-Personal Information may be combined with other Personal Information. You may configure your browser to reject cookies. If you do so, you might not be able to access important functions, features and activities or enjoy certain conveniences or customized and personalized features of our Services. Click here for a description of cookies and web beacons. Technology is improving every day and to improve our Services' operation and function we may introduce new technologies and monitoring techniques without advance notice or consent from you.
Description of cookies and web beacons:
Cookies are a small text file consisting of a combination of alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive or mobile device through your web browser that allows us to identify your computer or saved preferences. Cookies can store a variety of information, including IP addresses, navigational data, server information, data transfer times, user preferences, shopping cart information and passwords needed to access our Services, certain features and activities. We use IP addresses for the following reasons:
- To administer our Services and identify server problems.
- To compile aggregated statistics for marketing and research purposes, and IP address' geographic location.
- To collect Non-Personal Information such as user navigational data (including log files and click-stream data) that identifies information about your web browser and operating system, and the date and time in which you visit our Services, select webpages or areas of our Services in order to improve our Services' content, operations, and user experience. This information is usually collected anonymously – it does not identify a specific inpidual, unless it is combined with Personal Information in your account for administrative or legal purposes.
Web beacons (also called clear Graphics Interchange Format ("GIFS") or web bugs) are a common file format for graphic images in an email and on a webpage. Web beacons can report user behavior, such as opening an email or ad, and often work with cookies. We use web beacons to gather Non-Personal Information such as the number of Users who visit our Services, webpages and areas in which they spend their time visiting, and how Users view and use our content, features and activities.
We use Personal Information in various ways, click here for an overview. We also use your Personal Information and/or other information such as an IP address or mobile device unique identifier to deliver customized or personalized content and advertising communications to you. We may also use your Personal Information and Non-Personal Information to send special product offers, sales, promotions, or other information about us, our JCI Affiliates or our Advertisers, if you have provided your consent. Click here for more information about customized or personalized content and advertising.
We use your Personal Information to provide, complete and/or fulfill the following on our Services, Facebook fan pages or other social network platforms, and/or other digital technology not yet known or developed:
- Participate in sweepstakes, contests, games, promotional offers on our Services.
- Participate in surveys and questionnaires.
- Subscribe to online and mobile/electronic publications, and other services or features (such as news, election coverage, weather, sports and/or traffic alerts).
- Receive advertising, marketing and promotional information about upcoming events, products and services from JBG, its Advertisers and JCI Affiliates.
- Register for newsletters, other publications, AdMail or other email advertising services, daily discount coupon service, and loyalty clubs.
- Download JBG or JCI content such as music, audio and video content, and podcasts.
- Purchase products or services through our shopping service or App platforms.
- Communicate via email, postal mail, instant messaging, telephone, texts, facsimiles, or via Facebook, Twitter or other social network platforms.
- Participate in interactive public and community forums or blogs.
- Submit comments and viewpoints that will be made public via our or JCI Affiliate Services, newspapers, publications, Apps, texts, tweets, radio and television broadcasts, any other digital technology, or technology not yet known or developed.
- Submit user generated content such as videos, audio files, photographs, and other third party content.
- Apply for employment.
- Purchase, transfer or sell stock in JBG or JCI Affiliates.
We may also combine your Personal Information with additional Personal Information obtained from our Facebook fan pages or other social network platforms, JCI Affiliates, our Operational Service Providers (third party owned companies that provide or perform services on our behalf, to help serve you better and to perform functions in order to support our businesses and operations), or other companies, such as credit bureaus, background check firms, marketing research companies, and Advertisers.
Here a few additional services, features and activities that collect and use your information:
How does the NewsRight News Registry work?: The News Registry collects, and uses the following Non-Personal Information for its analytics service:
1) for news and editorial content that is "clicked-to" or posted from another website or source, we collect the identification of the referring URL of that traffic; and 2) log information to help identify how, where and when news and editorial content is accessed or viewed. Each time you request a webpage that includes news and editorial content monitored by the News Registry, the News Registry's server records information that your browser sends to it, including the identifier of any cookie that the Registry has previously set on your browser (if you have one), the URL of the page where you accessed the content, your IP address (which the Registry uses to infer your general geographic location), your browser and operating system types, and the date and time that the content was accessed). The News Registry may also enhance or combine information collected about news and editorial content consumption with other analytical sources and data, such as domain name ownership background information, the author, owner, licensor or licensee of the news and editorial content, News Registry data collected from JCI Affiliates, and predictions about a User's age, gender, or other demographics. We may also disclose aggregated News Registry data to JCI Affiliates.
JBG Interactive Network
JBG Stations will provide interactive features and activities, in addition to online subscriptions. You may be required to either register with central JBG service, with a JBG Station or use your Facebook log-in in order to participate in our interactive areas, such as blogs, chat rooms and bulletin boards. As a member of the JBG Interactive Network, you may also sign-up for email newsletters or other publications on various topics and be eligible for member-only contests and sweepstakes, activities, and email advertising offers and daily discount coupon services. MORE
More Information about JBG's Interactive Features & Activities:
For the Service's interactive areas, we can connect your postings with your IP address and account or Facebook User ID in the event we believe that you are in violation of our TOU, other laws or may be subject to a civil or criminal inquiry or investigation. We will disclose that information to law enforcement, other governmental entities, or other entities at our discretion.
User Generated Content (UGC)
Users of our Services may submit comments, viewpoints, news tips, story suggestions, audio, video, photographs, animation and other content for various features and activities on the Services or offline as a resource for our newspapers and entertainment publications. You understand, acknowledge and agree that such content and any Personal Information connected with such content is considered public information and will be disclosed at our discretion. Depending on the nature of the UGC, you may be required to complete a registration process. Our Station personnel, at their discretion, may contact a User for additional information related to the User and/or the User's content.
Mobile Apps, Smart Phones and other Mobile Devices
You may subscribe to commercial marketing and advertising opportunities, alerts for news, sports, traffic, election coverage, and/or weather, and participate in contests/sweepstakes and other content or features delivered via mobile devices, Apps for your iPhone or other smart phone platforms, the iPad and other tablets, and electronic readers, such as Kindle and Nook.
Contests, Sweepstakes and Promotions
We conduct various contests, sweepstakes and promotions in our Services and at remote locations. Each event may have different registration requirements. You may need to submit your date of birth and other Personal Information to meet certain eligibility requirements. Persons that falsify their contest/sweepstakes entry for any reason will immediately forfeit any prize, benefit or compensation. MORE
More information about our contests, sweepstakes and promotions:
Winners for contests and sweepstakes may need to show a government-issued photo identification to verify identity and eligibility prior to receiving the prize. If you win a prize valued at $600 or more, or have won prizes that are valued at $600 or more in the aggregate in a calendar year, you must also provide your Social Security Number, a postal address and complete the required IRS Form W-9 for federal tax reporting.
3. Do we collect Personal Information from or about children?
More information about our children's privacy policies:
On occasion, our Sites may enable parents to submit information about their child to participate in programs or features, such as a weather kids program and contests. In such instances, we only request the types of Personal Information necessary to participate in the program, which may include, but are not limited to, the parent's name and email address, child's name, age/date of birth, city, and a photograph or video of the child. This information would be used only for the specific program or feature. A parent may request access to this information and request that we delete such information. For details, please see Section 8, "How can you access, update or delete your Personal Information."
4. Do we disclose your Personal Information to third parties?
- To JCI Affiliates for business, operational, promotional and marketing purposes.
- To co-sponsors or promotional partners if you participate in a co-branded or co-sponsored promotion/contest.
- To our Operational Service Providers, who are prohibited from using your Personal Information for any purpose not authorized by us or required by law.
- To protect the security of our Services and databases; to protect our Users, JBG and JCI Affiliates, Advertisers, and Operational Service Providers against liability and harm; to implement and enforce our TOU and DMCA Copyright Policy; to respond to subpoenas, judicial processes, or government requests and investigations; to act in response to an emergency that threatens life, health or security of an inpidual; to assist in the investigation of a violation of law or non-compliance with our TOU; or if we believe in good faith that the law requires or authorizes such disclosure.
- In connection with any proposed or actual purchase, sale, lease, merger, assignment, re-organization or financing of all or any portion of JBG, JCI or any of the business, assets or shares of JCI Affiliates.
We reserve the right to fully use, disclose and process any Non-Personal Information collected from you in any manner.
5. How do we tailor and personalize content and advertising on our Services?
- Contextual Advertising: For example, we may serve you an advertisement for the annual Auto Show based on a used car dealer ad you just viewed or a search about used cars on one of our Services; this type of relevant advertising based on particular content or search query is called "Contextual Advertising" because it is based on the context of how you use our Services. We do not collect any other information about you for Contextual Advertising.
- First Party Advertising: Advertising that is tailored or personalized based on a history of your use of content and participation in features and activities on our Services (possibly combined with information from our Facebook fan page or other social network platforms) over time is called "First Party Advertising" because it is based solely on a combination of information we collect from you – not from your visits to other websites or from third parties. We may share such information anonymously with our Advertisers in order to measure the effectiveness of ads on our Services, such as how many Users opened or acted on a particular ad, but this information may be shared with JCI but not with other non-JCI Affiliates.
- Network Advertising: Information about your use of our Services combined with similar information about your overall Internet usage across different third party websites or online services used to serve tailored and personalized advertising is generally called "Network Advertising." Multiple third party websites and online services are involved in this tailored or personalized advertising process, in essence a "network" of advertising providers. Such information about you could include information about your browser, computer, and/or mobile device and general information about your demographics (whether you have provided such information voluntarily or such information is estimated based on your usage history and interests), such as your gender, age, lifestyle, education, home ownership, geographic location, etc. Click here for more information about how to identify a Network Advertising ad.
More information on how we use Network Advertising to deliver tailored and personalized advertising to you:
For advertising that is part of a Network Advertising service, you should see a small symbol (also called an icon) attached to a banner ad or other targeted advertising on our Services that can be clicked open for information about why and how you are receiving a particular ad. This icon is part of the Digital Advertising Alliance's Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising. For more information see www.aboutads.info.
We expect our Operational Service Providers, their service providers and any Advertiser that collects and uses your website usage information for the delivery of Network Advertising on our Services to comply with the industry Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising and provide you with a clear and prominent notice and explanation how your Personal Information and/or Non-Personal Information are used to deliver tailored and personalized advertising. We also expect such entities to abide by the industry's Self-Regulatory Principles for Multi-Site Data that limits the collection and restricts the use of Personal Information for determining eligibility for employment, credit, health care and insurance. Click here for more information. [Link to http://www.aboutads.info/msdprinciples]
You may opt-out of receiving customized or personalized Network Advertising or our own First Party Advertising on our Services using the links below. However, you will continue to receive advertising and promotional messages after you opt-out, but it will not be tailored, personalized, or relevant to you based on your use of our Services and/or third party websites. You may not opt out of Contextual Advertising.
If you wish to opt-out of receiving customized content and ads from Yahoo! based on your personal preferences or website usage habits, please click here.
If you wish to opt-out of receiving customized content and ads from other Network Advertising providers, please click here.
If you wish to opt-out of receiving First Party Advertising from JBG based your personal preferences or website usage habits on our Services, please click here.
6. What other choices do you have regarding the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information?
More information about your choices for the collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information:
Choices for Email and Online Communications: We may send you advertising or marketing communications if we have an established business relationship with you or you have given your affirmative consent. If you do not want to receive email and other online or mobile advertising or marketing communications from us directly regarding special product offers, sales, promotions, or other information about JCI Affiliates or our Advertisers' products and services, you may choose to opt-out of or withdraw your consent to receiving such communications by clicking on the unsubscribe link in certain email communications from us, sending a "STOP" or "END" request via a mobile device, or by notifying our Privacy Administrator.
Choices for AdMail, Email Services, and Daily Discount Coupon Subscription Services: You can subscribe to special email offers from JBG stations on behalf of JBG, JCI Affiliates, and/or select Advertisers), such as a service that provides discount coupon offers for various products and services. You must opt-in to these services by checking a click box as part of your registration on a JBG Station Site, via the service webpage, or App. You may opt-out any such features any time using the unsubscribe mechanism that is contained in each email or by notifying our Privacy Administrator.
Choices for Telephone Marketing: You have a right to opt-out of telemarketing calls by either registering on the federal Do Not Call registry (https://www.donotcall.gov/) or by requesting that you be placed on the JBG-specific Do Not Call list. Please contact our Privacy Administrator. Your opt-out does not apply to calls that are transaction-related, pertain to the administration of your account, or calls made to respond to your request. We will also request your affirmative consent before we knowingly send a telemarketing call to a mobile device.
Choices for Smartphones and Other Mobile Devices, Mobile Communications, and Mobile Apps: You are required to opt-in to the collection, use, and disclosure practices regarding your Personal Information and location-based information by our mobile service, App or feature when either purchasing your device or signing up for a mobile service, App or feature. We will use such information to deliver or customize the feature or service. You also have a right to opt-out of any mobile service or mobile communications, such as text messages and tweets, in the same manner in which you registered or by notifying our Privacy Administrator.
Choices for Commercial Faxes: If you receive commercial advertising and promotional material via facsimile, you have a right to opt-out by following the instructions on the first page of the fax or contact our Privacy Administrator. Your opt-out may not apply to material that is primarily informational or transactional; such faxes do not require your consent.
7. What do you need to know about links to other websites operated by third parties?
8. How can you access, update or delete your Personal Information?
If you wish to access, update, or correct any Personal Information you have previously provided to us, you may enter your username and password to access your account via the particular Service, or contact our Privacy Administrator. You may also request to remove your Personal Information from our records to the extent technically feasible, electronic or otherwise. However, certain records and Personal Information must be retained for legal, tax or regulatory purposes, and some information is retained via back-up systems/files as a business precaution. Additionally, our network system or platform may not allow the deletion of all Personal Information. If we are not able to delete all Personal Information, we will remove such data from an active field or folder. MORE
More information on how to access, update or delete your Personal Information:
We will update your Personal Information where appropriate, and we reserve the right to retain Personal Information obtained previously to verify your identity or take other actions that we believe are appropriate. We also reserve the right to deny access to any User account if we believe there is a question about your identity. And if the burden or expense of providing access to your Personal Information is disproportionate to the risks to your privacy, or if the legitimate rights of others would be violated, we may decide not to provide access to such information. In such cases, we will provide to you an explanation of why access cannot be provided and a contact person for further inquiries.
9. What security measures do we take to safeguard your Personal Information?
The security and confidentiality of your Personal Information is very important to us. We implement and maintain reasonable physical, technical and administrative procedures to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized collection, use, disclosure, and disposal. Despite our best efforts, no security measures are impenetrable, and transmissions over the Internet are not 100% secure or error-free.
If you contact us, we may ask for your name, email address and/or telephone number to verify your identity. We will not send an email or text, nor should you respond to any email or text communications asking for any sensitive or confidential Personal Information, such as social security number, bank account or credit card account number, or a driver's license number. If you receive an email or text requesting any such information from us or someone that claims they are with JBG or JCI, please contact our Privacy Administrator immediately. MORE
More information about our security practices:
It is also your responsibility to safeguard any username or password that you may have received in connection with our Services, and to notify us if you ever suspect that the security and confidentiality of your username or password and associated account has been compromised in any way. You are solely responsible for any use of our Services via your username and password.
11. How can you contact us?
Journal Broadcast Group, Inc.
720 E Capitol Drive
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53212
Attention: Privacy Administrator
© Copyright 2012, Journal Broadcast Group, Inc. - All Rights Reserved.